Wednesday 30 January 2013

20 Days of Gold Making - day 10 - farming

Do you farm materials? Why? Why not? & which ones, where?

That's Nev's question for day 10. On the whole, the answer is no, I don't farm materials. There are a couple of riders I need to add to that.

I prefer to buy my materials from the auction house rather than going out specifically to farm them. But I often do collect materials while doing something else. For instance, I might be running an instance, and pick up cloth; or I might disenchant drops. I'm sure you don't count that as farming. Neither do I. By farming, I think we mean an activity where the main purpose is to collect materials.

Second rider: I actually do farm on my farm. Or rather, on Farmer Yoon's farm. I'm doing this specifically to level cooking. A useful side-effect of this is that I have plenty of raid food (though it would be cheaper to sell the raw ingredients and buy the finished product, if I didn't need to make the finished product to level cooking). But actually, Farmer Yoon's farm is a terrible time sink, and I avoid it as much as I can. He should get off his fat ass and do some work, himself.

I have actually farmed stuff in the past, and I will again. I usually set aside two days a year for farming small eggs, which are needed for two festivals; These things sell for amazing sums. I also went farming for wool cloth in Duskwood just before Winterveil. I got lots of cloth, but it didn't sell as well as I'd hoped. I won't be doing that again! I've also farmed herbs in the past, for levelling alchemy, because the herbs I needed weren't on the Auction House. I've never done that for inscription though. The materials I need are more predictable (or more unchanging) and I usually have stockpiles of ink, made when the herbs needed for them were cheap.

Part of the 20 days of Gold Making series

No comments:

Post a Comment