Thursday 24 January 2013

Killing Captcha

I was complaining yesterday about how I was losing comments that I posted to Wordpress blogs. In turn, Syncaine wrote about how he found it frustrating commenting on Blogger-hosted blogs. I sympathize with him and several of his commenters. Captcha is the bugbear here, and I thought I'd take a look at the Blogger settings to see if I couldn't turn it off. I found out how, so if you are a Blogger blogger, and want to do the same, here's what to do:

1. Go to http://www.blogger.com/home (log on). You'll see a list of your blogs.
2. To the right of each blog name, there are a set of actions you can do for that blog. There's a little inverted triangle ("more options") among them. Click on it to see the options for the blog
3. Select "Settings" (the bottom option)
4. Click on "Posts and Comments"
5. Change the setting "Show Word Verification" to "No".
6. Save your changes!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this! I find CAPTCHA so stressful and it definitely puts off commenters too. I started using CAPTCHA bypass software called rumola to make my blogging less stressful but it would be much better if everyone just followed the instructions to turn it off! Ps. Any other CAPTCHA haters can try the software at skipinput.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Captcha is very annoying. And either my eyesight is failing, or the images are getting harder to read as time goes by. Anyway, thanks for the rumola suggestion.

    ReplyDelete